Predator is a free tool that turns any USB flash drive into a key that you can use to lock or unlock your PC, preventing other people from gaining access to your computer in your absence.
Using Predator to protect your computer is both simple and fast. Just insert the drive you want to use and enter a password. Once it is running, use your PC as normal and then simply unplug the drive to lock it. Once it is removed, the keyboard and mouse are disabled and the screen darkens. No one will be able to use your computer. To unlock it, just reinsert the drive and keyboard and mouse are immediately released, and the display is restored.
It’s easier and faster than closing your Windows session, since you do not have to retype your password when you return.
Predator has some advanced features too to add to the security.
- It records all security-related events in a log file: start, alarms, stop, so you will know if anyone has been trying to access your computer while you were away.
- It frequently changes the security codes recorded on your USB drive. If an intruder manages to copy your stick, this copy will not work because the codes on your own stick will have changed in the meantime.
- It disables the Windows task manager when you unplug the USB drive. Nobody can stop it with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
- What if lock your computer and you lose your flash drive? When you start the software for the first time, you set a password that will unlock your session if your USB drive is not available.
- It can sound an audible alarm if somebody enters an invalid password.
- It can protect several PCs with the same USB flash drive, e.g. your home and office computers.